Taking care of yourself both mentally and physically is what is referred to as self-care. Self-care can help improve your mood, reduce stress and anxiety, increase energy, and reduce burnout.
I know, I know, it's difficult to include time to take care of yourself on a daily basis. We all however need to give back to ourselves on a consistent basis for good mental health. Practicing for just 20 minutes, 2-3 times per week can bring great benefits. We all need a break - and so do you.
Here are some ideas to get you started practicing self-care today:
1. Exercise for 20 minutes (walk, jog, run, jump rope).
2. Listen to music you enjoy.
3. Call a friend.
4. Schedule a lunch/dinner date with a friend or family member.
5. Take a long shower or warm bubble bath.
6. Participate in your favorite hobby or research a new one (drawing, sewing, photography, gardening, baseball, painting).
7. Take an exercise class (yoga, kickboxing, aerobics).
8. Read a book.
9. Spend time with your pet.
Also, practice healthy coping skills if you feel elevated stress or sadness that feels overwhelming. Click here to download my free guide to healthy coping skills to get you started.